If any of you are waiting to find out what happened to our money and our moving containers, the last few days have been relatively pain free, except that I’m still working and too tired at night to pack. Our money showed up on Monday, whew!
We had more conversations with U/MF about removing our shipping container, and it finally got picked up on Monday. I have to say that the person we’ve been talking to at that company has been very nice and has tried to take care of us. Still, we are understandably not happy with them.
There was a slight bobble with the other shipping container company this morning, but it all worked out all right. They didn’t tell me they were going to call me a day ahead of time to confirm. They just said they would call the day of delivery, and if we didn’t answer the phone, they wouldn’t deliver. So, when I got to work this morning and had a phone call from them on my work phone from the day before (after work) asking to confirm the delivery, I was anticipating problems. But my husband reports that the new shipping container was delivered this morning. Despite my calling them back and changing my work phone to my home phone, they still called me at work to tell me they were coming. This is what comes of not having a real cell phone. I have one of those antique pay per use phones and I keep it turned off most of the time. I am not in the habit of handing out the number, so I don’t know it. I guess I need to start using it. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work in Washington, so I’ll have to get a real phone.
Two important events today. The first was that I had to submit my resignation letter at work and get it signed so that HR would fill out a form for my husband to submit to get Medicare, saying he would no longer be covered by my insurance.
That went okay until I got home, at which time I got an email from my boss saying that HR was alarmed by my resignation date and did I know I wouldn’t get a very big check for October if I left October 5? Well, duh! And let’s not mention that I already changed my resignation date once because of a discussion with HR. They also said that they usually didn’t “allow” people to retire except at the end of the month (our retirement agency said they didn’t care when I retired), even though the HR person I talked to said they did it all the time. They also suggested I use my vacation time up to fill up October, something I had explicitly been told by another HR person was not allowed by the agency (called “terminal leave”). In other words, I have to be there on my last day, and I ain’t flying back for it from Washington. So, after I stopped cursing these people who all tell me different things, we went to close on our house.
That went just dandy until my husband checked our bank accounts. Instead of paying off our mortgage, the money for that got deposited into our checking account. That is easily remedied. My husband just needs to transfer it over. But the other sum, our six-digit profit, is nowhere to be found. We hope it’s not in someone else’s account being spent, but the title company can’t do anything about it until Monday, because the credit union is closed.
And in the meantime, I started wondering about our storage container, which was supposed to be picked up today. You might have read my last post, where I reported that the local franchise for the company went out of business and I was going to have to get my second storage container from another company at a higher cost. Well, that made me worry about the container we already have that is full of half our worldly goods, but yesterday they assured us they would pick it up today.
In the meantime, I scheduled another shipping company to bring a second container on Monday. Well, guess what? Today I heard from the first company that they were looking around for equipment so that they could pick up our container. So, I had to get on the phone to the other company to delay our second container being dropped off, because there is not enough room for two. And although she assured me it would be picked up on Monday, she assured me yesterday that it would be today. I am happy as a lark.
Today was a nightmare. It is one day before we are supposed to close, and I thought it would be a slow one in which my husband packed the storage container and I packed boxes. My husband was preparing for the storage container to be picked up and a new one delivered in its place tomorrow.
First we got a call from the moving company asking if they could pick up the container today. My husband, having procrastinated, had actually wasted the coolish morning doing other things that could be done anytime, so I had to say no. He is out there now working in the heat, rearranging the stuff for the umpteenth time. At some time, he will have to decide that he’s done as good a job as he can, but not now.
Then they called again and asked if they could at least drop off the other container. This seemed odd, but I told them I wasn’t sure it would fit in the driveway with the one that is there now. If I’d known what was coming, I would have said, “Heck, yeah!”
Then we proceeded to be deluged by calls. Some of them were from the different moving people I was trying to coordinate, one company coming to pick up a bunch of stuff today and take it to Goodwill, another company coming on our moving day to help pack and load. So, we were constantly on the phone for our business, but we also got as many calls as we ever did before the Do Not Call list.
We thought the kicker came when our realtor’s company called to say that we needed to do some energy audit required by the city of Austin when you’re selling a home. Why hadn’t we heard of this before, I asked? We’re closing tomorrow! Since our buyer had already done five inspections of our house, our realtor had assumed they did it, even though it is usually ordered by the seller. He also thought it wouldn’t be needed since the buyer intends to gut the house, but the buyer has been the biggest pain imaginable. It was not going to affect the closing, he said. So, I had to get on the phone and get the auditor out. Luckily, he could come today. For a cash sale that was supposed to be easy, this has been the hardest I’ve ever been involved in.
But here’s the kicker. The auditor had no sooner arrived than I got a call from our moving and storage company. I hesitate to name it, as starting tomorrow, they will have temporary custody of half of my worldly goods, but it is a well-known company, a conglomerate of two old-fashioned moving companies, and it’s name has the initials U-MF. It turns out that we can’t have the second storage container at all, because their Austin office just closed. They suggested we call one of several OTHER companies.
Can you believe this? If it was my company, I would get on the horn to Dallas or Houston or some other U-MF office and tell them to get a storage container out there pronto. They did nothing.
So,we had to call another company, and that was also a trip. But the end result is we’re paying about $2K more for the move, because the second container was going to be an add-on and now it is a first container from another company.
The reason I called this company in the first place is that back in the olden days, when people used trucks to move, I used them twice and they were great (the MF part of the merger). Not any more.